Skip to main content

My First Brush With Media

Yeah...I've done my post-graduation in mass media. I've worked across a wide variety of media, right from print to radio to television to the new media, but, that isn't why I am crazy about media. I fell in love with media, a long, long time ago. I was in third grade when my parents brought home a colour television. Those were the days of Doordarshan and numerous UGC programs and farm-based programs. They were quite boring for a 8-year-old but then, I looked forward to the commercials on television. I so loved the 'Hamara Bajaj' jingle which I would hum while playing 'hop,skip and jump' with my friends. Then, there was the Onida devil commercial that used to scare me to bits. I spend many a sleepless nights, wondering if the devil was hiding just outside the window. Of course, there was the very smart Lalithaji, who was very much like the noisy aunty next-door. Really, those early days help build a fascination for media within me. And the love affair continues. Now with the Web 2.0, internet is also a medium that I have come to really adore. The internet in general, with social media in particular holds immense possibilities. I get really excited when I start to explore them. I am going to share my views on all forms of media, especially television and Web 2.0 through this blog. Hope you find something interesting, entertaining and engaging here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really her choice?

  Let’s talk about   women’s reproductive rights in US and India Abortion law is once again in the news. This time, the US Supreme Court has agreed to consider a rollback of abortion rights with regard to whether states can ban abortions before a foetus can survive outside the womb. The landmark Roe v Wade decision that announced a women’s constitutional right to an abortion in 1973 and upheld it in 1992 is back in the spotlight once again. The pressing issue involves an examination by the US Supreme Court of a Mississippi law that prohibits abortions after the 15th week of pregnancy, except in a medical emergency or in the case of a severe foetal abnormality which is defined as a condition that is incompatible with life outside the womb. Meanwhile, a Texas Senate Bill, which takes effect in September 2021, bars abortion once signs of a heartbeat is detected, which can happen as early as six weeks into a pregnancy using vaginal ultrasound, sometimes, even before a woman may ...

Broken

A few moons back, I broke my leg in a small accident and spent six weeks in a cast; confined to my bedroom and unhealed wounds from a broken relationship (from ages ago!) surfaced. And as my body healed, so did my soul, as well. And here it is. Broken and Mended. Of course,  it feels good to be featured in https://www.thealiporepost.com/ and @thealiporepost Click here to read Broken at TheAliporePost It was the day, My broken leg, Healed my broken heart. Yes. I fell off my bike, And my leg was placed in a cast. I yelled in pain, Tiny, damaged ligaments can be quite bothersome. But, not as much as the sharp, burning pain, That pierced my beating, hurting heart. Lost love had me undone. The humiliation of rejection scored through my arteries and veins, Like listless red poison, making me cringe, Washed over by a feeling of unworthiness. Wanting desperately to be wiped off; of the face of the earth. Turning into nothingness. But again, The broken l...

Any takers for an 'anti-spitting' social awareness campaign?

I've been walking around the fly-over filled outer ring of Bangalore these days and all I see is people spitting unceremoniously on the pavement, on dirt roads, into water puddles and almost anywhere and everywhere. And to my chagrin, even educated folks flaunting branded hi-end fashion apparel walk out of malls, only to spit outside on the road. The situation is really, really awful. Spitting in public places is as bad a  health hazard as smoking in public, I guess. According to website SpitfreeIndia , spitting spreads swine flu, tuberculosis, pneumonia and gastro-intestinal diseases. The Indian Railways, I believe, spends about Rs. 1.5 crores every year in cleaning and scrubbing the spit marks, every year. I think there is even a law that prohibits people from spitting in public places but I don't see it being implemented anywhere. The need of the hour is awareness - people need to be educated about keeping their environs clean - for their own well-being and th...